Saturday, March 21, 2009

More Hope

The conclusion of the movie "Chalk" was really interesting.  When watching the movie again, I realized that it seemed as if they were portraying teachers as being stupid, or incompetent.  I think this is a very untrue view.  However, as I watched further and saw the end of this movie, I realized that these teachers had shown so much growth throughout this first year at the school.   The first year history teacher was able to loosen up and involve his students in the classroom.  He even came up with the idea of the Hornet's spelling bee for the teachers. 

This idea is what interests me so much in teaching.  How can we, as teachers, connect with students? There are subjects that each student can excel in, and it is our job to spark and guide that interest.  I think that the new history teacher would have learned and loved teaching more if he had started out the year in a good way.  Learning from mistakes and experiences is the most valuable way to learn. 

If I can go into a teaching situation and help at least one student I will feel successful. However, my goal is to help many more than one.  I just want to help kids find something they love, and give them something to look forward too.  It will be a tough road to follow, but I feel like after watching this movie, I have more hope for my future as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment